Friday 2 November 2012

Oh That Layout Full...A Practice Journal


Now this entry will probably only appeal to a very selct audience in terms of tips but will still I believe prove interesting to read to others. For the past three years I have been trying to get my layout full. It has been a very long process that has pulled me back to even working on the basics just so I can begin to twist out of my layout. For fellow tumblers I'm sure many of you can relate to the arduous twisting process. But about a month ago I finally landed my round off full twist. Now this may not seem like much of an accomplisment and I still have to add in many more skills for it to be a complete pass but it was a milestone for me. A few thoughts occurred to me as well upon landing my layout full such as now I must make it consistent, how can I progress to add backhandsprings and most importantly what helped me succeed in getting it.

Now I am well aware there are many ways to twist and having been taught many in attempt to learn it. I understand that some of my tips may not be applicable to you but there is many more tips then just the technique and hey if you're at a roadblock what's the harm in trying something new! To start off you have to ask yourself which way do I twist? This question alone lost me 2 years of painfully trying to twist left when in fact I was a naturally right twister. There are many ways to find out such as being pushed back and the foot you step back with (right or left) is the way you twist, or which way you fall when being pushed off a beam but hands down the most successful is simple WHICH WAY DO YOU CARTWHEEL? Not only we'll this make twisting easier but it also allows you to progress to other skills in which you cannot be twisting in opposite directions.

When you find out what way you twist it's also important to find your technique like I said above. I believe when you pull with two staright arms to the side you twist it is most effective because it twists your center of gravity to rotate, keeps your lines straight, and is fast unlike one armed which can be slow and crossed armed pulls which can be subject to bad body positions and moving centre of gravity resulting in a crooked twist. These were the main things I discovered but even things like giving enough space for your roundoff or roundoff handspring so your not undercutting your set is vitally important. These tips can apply to double twisting as well and as an example here's a video of a great twist (excuse the language). Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment